Friday, January 18, 2008

We Felt Like Movie Stars!

Since life is a little boring around here right now, I don't have anything exciting to blog about. So, I thought I would go back to some old things that I meant to blog about and never got around to.

Back in November, S and I did a little sightseeing at Mamallapuram. It was the day after Diwali, S had the day off, and since we just got the new car, we decided to go for a ride. Being that I had never been south of our house, I just told our driver to go in that direction. We didn't have intentions of going to Mamallapuram...it just sort of happened that's where we ended up. We stopped at a few of the tourist spots, but since we weren't expecting to be outside, we didn't have any sunscreen or bottled water, so we didn't stay long. I'm looking forward to a trip back to Mamallapuram in the next few weeks when we have some visitors in town.

Anyway, at one of the tourist stops, a couple of schoolgirls approached us and wanted to have their photo taken with us. Well the two girls turned into a whole mob of schoolchildren from Kerala (another part of India). We couldn't even walk because there were so many of them around us. They shook our hands, asked us where we were from, touched our hair, and crowded around for photos. I was sort of disappointed that they didn't ask for our autographs...maybe next time.



Can you figure out which one I am?



We truly almost felt like we were famous. Nope, just obvious foreigners! This same sort of thing happened to us quite a bit when we lived in Beijing and went to any of the tourist spots. Normally though, it was just a couple of people asking for a photo. Being white and living in Asia, we pretty much stick out like a sore thumb. There is no way to blend in with the crowds. People stare at us all of the time. Does this bother me? Nope. If I let little things like people staring at me get to me, I would have went crazy in the first month of moving to Asia. Of course, it has been said that we must be crazy to first live in China and now live in India. Maybe so...but if this is the case, then I'll be the first to stand up and admit it.

"I AM CRAZY. I HAVE LIVED IN CHINA. NOW, I LIVE IN INDIA."

Enough said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you were crazy long before you moveed to china!




dad

The Green Family said...

Today Millie the dog had her picture taken! Last week a man took a photo of Emily and then she took his picture!