Monday, January 21, 2008

Monkeying Around in India

India has monkeys. Some parts of India, such as New Delhi, have a lot of monkeys...like tens of thousands of them wandering around the city. I have never seen a monkey in Chennai although S said that he saw some one night on his way home from work. Also, S sees monkeys whenever he goes out to his company's manufacturing plant. I guess they just hang around in the rafters. He said that they did a monkey round up and relocated around 75 monkeys out of the plant. This I guess was done on a Monday, and when S went to the factory a few days later, he couldn't even tell they had taken any away. So there are definitely monkeys here...I guess we just live on the wrong side of the town to see any on a regular basis.

I guess there was a report of monkeys breaking into homes and stealing cell phones and Cokes in some city in India. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I guess anything is possible.

Anyway, I finally saw my first monkeys here when we were down in Mamallapuram.


This guy doesn't exactly look too friendly. Don't worry...I didn't get too close.


I'm thinking only in India would you find a monkey and a goat eating out of the same trash pile.


For whatever reason, this lady was trying her hardest to get the baby monkeys to come to her. Um, yeah, maybe not the brightest idea in the world...monkeys do have teeth and can carry rabies.



For Christmas, my mom and dad got us our very own pet monkey. Here he is hanging out with our cat, Shelby, in Illinois. Isn't he cute??? Anyway, he's the best type of monkey to have around...doesn't eat much, doesn't make a mess, and since he is a Cubs rally monkey, we are hoping that he will bring luck to the Cubs this year.

Anyway, with the bananas in our yard continuing to grow, I really hope that they don't attract any monkeys to our property. While it would sort of be cool to look outside and see a real live monkey in my yard, I prefer to not have any around. I have enough critter problems the way it is!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha! It'll take more than your monkey to bring luck to the Cubs. Go Red Sox :) heh heh

Anonymous said...

Monkey's are cool! We had a sugar monkey when we were kids, we actually have it on video, kind of funny. You should get one as a pet you would be amazed at how smart they are. The monkey and our dog were best of friends.
Teresa

Bev said...

Hey Julie, Just remember those monkeys are FAST and they don't like flash camera's! I had one chase me about 1/2 block in K.L. and lucky for me the bus had the door open!
Bev B