Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Return of American Idol!

Yes, only about 13 hours until American Idol starts here. For those of you in the U.S., you probably are watching it while I am writing this. Well we aren't so lucky here, so we have to wait a few more hours than you.

Last year when I was in Beijing at this time, watching American Idol was like following a cult. EVERYONE watched it. Even if you never watched the show in the U.S., you watched in Beijing. One reason is that it was the only decent thing on TV to watch all week. Everything else was at least 2 or 3 seasons old (the same thing here). The second reason being is that even if you didn't want to watch it, you watched it because that was what everyone else was doing. You didn't dare plan a dinner or outing on American Idol nights...not to mention even considering to call anyone during the hour it was on. If you did, they wouldn't answer anyway. Therefore, it was just easier to watch it, and then you would know what everyone was talking about when they mentioned Sanjaya, Blake, and Jordin.

The week that my good friend finally got engaged was also the same week that Sanjaya finally got voted off of the show. When I found out she was going to get married, my comment was something along the lines of "best news I've heard since Sanjaya was booted off of Idol." Since she watched the show, she also found my comment humorous.

So, anyway, don't be calling me between 8pm and 9pm my time on Wednesday nights (8:30am to 9:30am Wednesday mornings CST), because I won't answer. I'll be watching TV...the one hour per week that will be worth watching. Hmm, I think I need to check because it may be on more than one night per week...so there may be a couple times every week that you won't be allowed to bother me!

No comments: