Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Home Alone

This is the third week in a row that S has had to travel within India for work. He has been gone either two or three days each time. Next week, he leaves to go to China for a week. Then I think he is planning a trip to Indonesia in February. Then he has a trip to Thailand and Singapore later in February, which I will be going with him on.

So, what does this equate for me...a lot of time home "alone." I use the word "alone" loosely as there are still the security guards, the driver, the gardener, and the maid around every day. Having no kids and no pets though, it really is pretty quiet around here when S is gone.

A common question that I have received recently is how do I cope with S gone so much? Honestly, it really hasn't been a problem. I manage pretty well by myself, and I can easily entertain myself. We have been in India now long enough that staying by myself doesn't bother me (remember that I caught the rat when S was gone). Now, if S would have left me this much right after moving into the house, I probably would have been freaking out a little more. However, now, it's not a problem at all. I can watch what I want on TV, I can read, I can eat supper whenever I want, I can go to bed when I want, I can get up when I want...anyway, you get the point, I can do as I please (wait, don't I anyways even when S is here???)

Today was the first day that I have been out of the house since last Thursday. Yep, that's 5 days in the house without leaving. OK, that's a small lie...I did leave yesterday to go to the grocery store, but that was a quick trip since I forgot the grocery store that I like near us is closed on Tuesdays. The other grocery store by us is really bad...doesn't carry milk, eggs, the good bread I like, etc...so the the only thing I bought was bananas.

So, why haven't I been out of the house for 5 days? Friday, the car needed serviced after S was dropped off at work. For some reason, this process, which can be done in 15 minutes at Jiffy Lube in the U.S., takes all day here. Oh yeah, that's right, the reason being is that this is India! I guess I should be thankful that it only takes one day here and not two or three! Saturday, S went to work for part of the day. By the time he got home, we decided that we didn't want to go anywhere. On Sundays, we never go anywhere. Monday, S had to go to the factory, which is too far away for our driver to come back while S is working. Yesterday, besides the grocery store being closed, I had planned on doing a few other errands, but S had called and needed the car in the afternoon for some of his own work related errands.

Today, I finally thought I would be able to go out thinking S wasn't going to the airport until tonight. Nope, he had to go midday, plus he had to run errands beforehand. Well, being that I was on the verge of some major cabin fever (which I never thought would be possible in hot India), my friend came and rescued me. We went to lunch and did some shopping. One of the places we went shopping at was a Tupperware store. Yes, in India, real Tupperware at about half the price of the U.S. We inquired about having a Tupperware party, but I don't think that is a concept here. Then we went to pick her kids up at the American School. I've been to the school a couple of times before, and let's just say that it is the social hub for ex-pats in Chennai. We were there for probably 1 1/2 hours talking to other women. By the time we left, my friend had determined that I was going to eat supper at their house since S is out of town. I just got home about an hour ago (just in time to watch American Idol) after being gone over 8 hours today. It was a great day out with my friend!

So, what does tomorrow bring? I'm going to another friend's house to play mahjong. We play once a week. I really look forward to this as it assures that I have at least one social event on my calendar each week. However, my friend just announced last week that she is moving within a month, so now we have to find a new place to play mahjong. I hope we can as we have just finally built up a group to play. I would offer to host, but I live too far out for people to travel. It's much easier for me to travel into town instead of a lot of people traveling out to my house.

After mahjong tomorrow, I'm going to another friend's house for supper. Somehow when I was at the school today, I sort of invited myself. It started as a joke from me, but my friend ended up insisting that I come tomorrow night since S will still be gone. I'm looking forward to it.

S gets back Friday evening, and we have a work related dinner to attend that night. Saturday morning, he has to work, but then Saturday afternoon, I think we are going to be taking a couple of his co-workers who are in town out to some of the tourist sites. Then on Saturday night, the first of my Beijing friends arrives with her husband for two weeks. Her husband will be working, and her and I will be trying to stay out of trouble during the day. With this friend, that may be a challenge! I'm sure we'll have a good time talking, laughing, eating, and shopping. I'm really looking forward to her coming since S will be gone next week. Her being here will keep me entertained and hopefully will help the days go quickly while S is in China. Then a few days before she leaves, another Beijing friend is coming in with her husband for a few days, so then I will be entertaining her.

While I am disappointed that S is going back to China without me, I am going on the trip to Thailand and Singapore with him in February. Since I haven't been to either of these places before, I am really excited to be able to go along. I think the day after my friends leave, S and I will be leaving on this 10 day trip. It is actually mainly a business trip for S, but he will have a couple of days in Singapore that we will be able to do some stuff together.

Busy times are definitely ahead for me. I guess this is the reason why I didn't really mind being in the house for 5 days straight. At this point, I won't be in the house for 2 days straight until probably March. Time flies when you are having fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom and I fly out eight weeks from tomorrow.

Beth