Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dog Food

So, I have been pondering a question in my head for quite awhile now. Since, I haven't came up with a right or wrong answer yet...of course, I haven't really researched it much...I thought I would pose it to my blog readers.

The question:

What do the pets of vegetarians eat?

Honestly, I never thought of this until one day I was in a grocery store here, and they had vegetarian dog treats. I bought a package and took them back to my dog and my brother's dog who seemed to like them OK. However, in looking through the different bags of dog food, I didn't see any without some sort of meat ingredient included.

Anyway, I had sort of forgot that I was trying to figure out the answer to this question until today. I was in a different grocery store here and was looking through the freezer cases (which by the way, any local corner convenience store in the U.S. carrys more frozen foods than any of the grocery stores here). Well, in the freezer, there were frozen packages that were labeled "Minced Meat Dog Food" with a large photo of a dog's head on it. This was in the freezer right next to the chicken sausages, salmon sausages (first time I'd seen those also), and mutton cubes. So, the next obvious question is: is this food for dogs or food for humans that is dog meat?

I haven't heard of "dog" being a meat of choice for human consumption here in India. In China, dog is a delicacy, and one of our friends did have it once...not by his choice...but he did try it just to be polite.

Anyway, I didn't pick up and inspect the frozen package today. Maybe next time I'm in the store I will. Either way, I don't think I'll be purchasing any any time real soon. However, maybe some of my friends here with dogs would be willing to buy some and cook it up...just don't invite us over for dinner that night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

From what I've gathered from our vet, I think most folks here feed their dog table food (rice etc). Dog food is a growing trend with the number of expats bringing spoiled pooches to India. You should see how fat Kramer is after hanging out the staff for nearly a month!

Speaking of spoiled...have you seen in Illinois the "ice cream" for dogs? Kramer had it at puppy school and he loved it.

Anonymous said...

We have a new grocery store in town that has all sorts of great organic and non-organic foods. It's a fabulous store. They even offer freshly made baby food and refrigerator-fresh dog food. Yes, that's right dog food that must be refrigerated. Don almost picked up a roll because he thought it was sausage. Good thing I had read their Grand Opening booklet that discussed all their new offerings so I could give him the heads up on the dog food.

Oh, regarding vegetarian dogfood - isn't Beneful a vegetarian offering?