Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Would you hear this in the U.S.?

On Saturday, S and I were out running errands. There is a bookstore that I had been wanting to go to for some time, and so we decided to finally check it out since we had some time before we had to pick our guest up at the office.

Like most bigger stores in the U.S., China, and India, this store had some background music playing. I wasn't really paying any attention to it until S came up to me and told me to listen to the lyrics of the song they were playing. Well the singer was Snoop Dogg...for those of you who don't know, he is a hip-hop and rap artist. I think the majority of his songs start out as having a lot of explicit words in them...a lot of times then a clean version of the song will eventually come out.

Anyway, the song of his that this store was playing was definitely not a clean version. It had the MF word in it quite a bit along with the N word...and the music was turned up loud enough that you could definitely make out what was being said.

Now, would you ever hear this type of music in a store in the U.S.? Probably not. I don't think this would even be allowed to be played in a music store. Here in India though...no problem. Husband and I had the discussion about whether or not they even knew what they were playing...or if the other people in the store knew of this song and what the words mean?

Anyway, we had quite the chuckle over this...especially since Chennai is a very conservative city. Only in India. Only in India.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No concept of "politically correct."