Monday, September 24, 2007

Passport Information

Last night, I was talking to my cousin Beth and our friend Carrie (see Carrie...you are now part of my blog). One of the topics of conversation was about passports.

Getting a U.S. passport really is not that complicated. You need a certified copy of your birth certificate, two passport photos (most photo places will take passport photos), a completed passport application, and about $100. You have to apply in person at a designated facility (a lot of bigger post offices or county courthouses do this).

For awhile this past year, it was taking quite awhile to get new passports back. The reason for this is that in the very near future Americans will need a passport to travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. I believe as of the end of this month, a passport will be required if flying into Canada or Mexico...and in another year or so, a passport will be required if driving into these countries from the U.S. Therefore, there was quite a backlog on the new applications for passports. However, I believe now this has been caught up and the time frame isn't that bad.

Anyway, I feel that everyone should have a passport. Most of you are probably saying to yourself...don't need one, no plan to travel out of the U.S., so why spend the $100? Well think about it...passports are valid for 10 years before they need to renewed (thus only costing $10 per year). Is there at all a chance that you will be traveling to Canada, Mexico, Europe, or anywhere outside of the U.S. in the next 10 years? If you would have asked me this same question 10 years ago, I would have said no. It wasn't until S took his first business trip to Spain 3 years ago that I thought I would maybe some day travel outside of the U.S. So, I applied for my passport at that time, but it wasn't until two years later that I ever used my passport. However, when the whole moving to China thing came up suddenly last summer, boy was I glad that I didn't have to worry about getting my passport.

Now chances are, you probably won't be moving out of the country like I did. However, if you don't have your passport, you can't come visit me! I know that India is not as desirable place to visit as China, but hey, I won't be living here forever (or at least I don't think I will be) and who knows where I will end up next. Also, if you don't have your passport, then if I would happen upon cheap air tickets here, you have no option to come visit.

And never say never. I never thought I would be living outside of the U.S. Now look at me...China and India. So don't be saying you will never have the opportunity to come visit me...you just never know!

With that being said...more information including the application form on obtaining a U.S. passport can be found here: U.S. Dept of State (just click on the blue words).

Thanks to those of you who have already done this...Mom, Dad, Beth, Diane...it honestly makes me feel better knowing that some of my family members would be able to come here if there was an emergency. When we moved to China, no one in my family (and I believe only S's two brothers in his family) had their passports. Now, certain other family members (hint, hint to Bud among other people) need to get theirs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ho-ly smokes. I feel like you've just slapped me upside the head! I have at least a half dozen contingency plans for emergencies in Canada, however, in all the years that we've traveled and moved around, not once did it ever occur to me that family would have to travel to US for an emergency.

I've just emailed all my family to ask them to get valid passports.

Thanks! D

Lise said...

I'm pretty sure this applies to the States as well as to Canada, but when I went to see Danie, I also needed the 'visa' which you need your passport to send off to the applicable consulate so they can stamp it and get it back to you...this also takes about 10 working days...so yes, i'd say having the passport should be the minimum.

Anonymous said...

i got my passport early this year because i was planning on going on a cruise. That particular this fell through, but I would still be available to make a trip to see you if the opportunity arose (esp after anticipated retirement date at the end of this calendar year). WEEEEEE

Glad to hear your are adjusting so well in India, but I still think it would be a good idea to have your children born in USA.

The Green Family said...

I keep telling my family & friends to get their passports, afterall India is the new vacation hotspot right? As far as passports go, the kids got theirs in 10 days! We were told not to look for them for 8 weeks and there they were.