Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Saw a Snake!

OK, so it was dead...but it was still a snake!

Yesterday, I was gone from the house for about 13 hours. I attended a women's club meeting and then had lunch with a friend that lasted about 4 hours. After that I had coffee with another friend, and then I had about a hour to kill before S would be ready to leave work. We had a dinner meeting to attend together.

Well on the way home after the meeting, our driver told us that our security guards had killed a huge snake that was in our yard that afternoon. He said that it was minimum 4 feet long. I asked him if it was poisonous...his eyes got really BIG and he said "yes madam, poisonous snake." OK, well the first two snakes we had were small, so I figured it would only be time before we had a large one in the yard (after all, my friend GSS Danie has had a huge one on her property that I have seen photos of, so I know they exist here in Chennai). Well when we got home at about 10pm last night, our driver asked if I wanted to see the snake. Of course, I want to see the snake. S wanted no part in the snake viewing...dead or alive!

Anyway, the security guards had the snake across the road outside of our property. They got it for me to look at. Well you know how fish stories work...where the fish caught is always at least 3 times larger than what it actually is. Well, here in India, I guess they tell snake stories. The snake was maybe 2 feet long and about as big around as my thumb. Whether or not it was actually venomous or not, I really don't know...and does it really matter...to me a snake is a snake. Size doesn't matter and whether or not it's venomous or not doesn't really matter either.

Nevertheless, I am very thankful that our security guards seem to have no problem killing snakes. I think the conversations I have had with our driver about how we don't have many snakes in the U.S. is paying off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I knew you'd start to catch up GSS Julie :)