Saturday, September 29, 2007

Go Cubs Go!

Yep, that's right... the Chicago Cubs have clinched their division!

Now it would only figure that the Cubs would have a good year the first full baseball season that we are out of the U.S. After all, we moved to Beijing and the Chicago Bears had a great year and went to the Super Bowl. Let's just say watching the Super Bowl in a country other than the U.S. just isn't the same. For one thing, it was on a Monday morning. Not to mention that S had a meeting that he could not get out of and thus couldn't even watch the game. Then there is the whole annoying aspect of the game being dubbed over to Chinese...so at the same time you hear both English and Chinese.

Anyway, back to the Cubs (we are much bigger baseball than football fans). My husband S is the biggest Cubs fan in the world. OK, maybe not in the world, but definitely the biggest one in India if not in all of Asia. This has been a very long week...the Cubs lost 3 games to the Florida Marlins, and S was not in a good mood. However, with the Milwaukee Brewers being just as bad, the Cubs were still in first place and had a shot of wrapping up the division.

Well, this morning I woke up to hear my husband singing and in a joyful mood. I just knew this had something to do with the Cubs. Sure enough...the Cubs were winning and the Brewers were losing. Well, I listened to the end of the Cubs game on the internet. Then when I turned on the TV while I worked out, low and behold the Brewers game was on ESPN here, so I was able to watch them lose. So, it's official now...the Cubs are going to the playoffs!!!

Let's just say this is a great way to start a long weekend. S is off of work on Monday and Tuesday, and it would have been a very LLOOONNNNGGGGG weekend if the Cubs had blown it. However, now it will be a joyful celebration all weekend long. We don't even have to get up early to listen to the final two regular season games.

I guess I should make it official...I will go on record and say that WHEN the Cubs make it to the World Series, I will come back to Illinois. I will make the approximately 60 hour round trip journey just to be able to watch them on TV live (although I am guessing that the World Series will be shown here, but with the times of the games and time difference, it will be the middle of the night for us when the games start). Now, I can't say anything for whether S will come also...as you know, his job tends to get in the way of things like this.

Now, when the Cubs win the World Series, I'm not sure what I will do. Haven't thought this far ahead yet. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to S & J and all Cubs fans ... the Cubs clinched the NL Central title last night, so let the playoffs begin.

Even though I am a Cardinals fan, I will be routing for the Cubs to go all the way this fall. It's about time they won it all in their "new" stadium.

Chuck

Carrie said...

Maybe they will finally get that goat off of their back. They have to quit using that as an excuse at some point.

Anonymous said...

Three Words: Go Red Sox!

Ryan