Tuesday, December 4, 2007

It's T-Day!

Yep, today is travel day...well actually most of the travel will occur on Wednesday, but since we will be leaving our house tonight, I have designated today as T-Day.

I think I'm pretty much ready to go. S and I packed the suitcases on Sunday. Yesterday, I worked on my mom's scrapbook all day. I had one page to finish this morning, and I got it done first thing. I wasn't too worried about getting the book finished as I could have finished it in Illinois at my friend's house if I had to. However, it does feel great to not have to worry about it now.

Today, I have been just picking up the house and doing some last minute things. This afternoon I'm going to go play Mahjong like I normally do every Tuesday afternoon. This will be a good way to kill some time waiting for it to be time to go to the airport.

We will be leaving the house at 10:30 tonight for the 30 hour trip to my parents' house. Hopefully, there won't be any bad weather in Chicago that will delay us coming in. After a long trip like this, the last thing anyone wants is to make the trip any longer than necessary. Unfortunately, this has happened to quite a few people, and it isn't fun. The first time S and I went to Beijing last summer, we were delayed 9 hours in Chicago, and this was after our 5 hour layover from the flight from Peoria...then to make matters worse, we find out after the fact that we could have been in the lounge the entire time because we were flying business class. We didn't know this since we had never flown business class before.

In other news, there will more than likely be a dejavu moment here later today. Remember our first food shipment didn't arrive until the night before our trip to Dubai. Well guess what? Our second food shipment is due to arrive today. It once again was delayed a couple of weeks and should have been here a long time ago. Anyway, I have a feeling it is going to show up about a couple of hours before we are set to walk out the door. This means that I need to be 100% ready to go so that if it does show up late, I can take care of it and not be stressing about finishing getting ready to leave as well.

A couple of people have asked if I will continue to write this blog while I am in the U.S. The answer to this question is yes, I'm planning on it if I have time. I don't think anything horribly exciting will be taking place while we are in Illinois, but I do have some old posts from things that we have done here in India that I haven't got around to writing yet.

So to all of my friends here in India, China, and wherever, I wish you safe travels if you are going somewhere for the holidays. If not traveling, enjoy a peaceful holiday season. For my friends and family in Illinois, I will see you guys really soon. Looking forward to spending the holidays in the U.S.

Happy Holidays!
Julie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dress warm the snow is comin'!! Hopefully you will have a chance to stop by and say hi!!

Marti

Anonymous said...

If you come to my house for a visit there is never a dull moment.

Becky

Anonymous said...

YEAH!! Cannot wait to see you two. Hope you are or will be having a safe trip, depending on when you read this..oh Mark said to tell you it is snowing in Chicago right now. See you soon. Teresa